Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK)
Driving Directions / Travel by Car
A fair way out of Glasgow itself, the complex of Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK) is located on the Clyde coast, about a one hour drive to the south-west of the city. However, the A77 / M77 motorway makes for quick access to and from Glasgow and the M74 / A74 runs from the English border.
Located in the Prestwick area, Glasgow PIK Airport is close to Monkton, Rosemont and Sumington, all of which can be found to the north. Also nearby and signposted from a number of directions are the Prestwick Golf Club (to the west) and both the St. Nicholas Golf Club and the St. Cuthbert Golf Club (to the south).
On the eastern side of Glasgow Prestwick Airport you will find the A77 / A79 (Kilmarnock Road), while to the west, Monkton Road leads into the grounds, passing the Shawfarm Industrial Estate along the way and ultimately joining Shaw Road.
Directions to Prestwick Airport (PIK) from the north of Glasgow:
Directions to Prestwick Airport (PIK) from the south of Glasgow:
- Exit the M8 motorway at Junction 22 and join the M77
- Continue south-west on the M77 and merge with the A77
- Head right onto the A78 and the A79 for the airport, just before you reach Prestwick
Directions to Prestwick Airport (PIK) from the east of Glasgow:
- The M6 merges with the A74 / M74 heading north
- Exit the A74 / M74 at Junction 8 and join the A71 west before reaching Glasgow
- Bear left onto the A77, bypassing Kilmarnock and then follow the A77, A78 and A79 for the airport
- The A76 connects Glasgow with Dumfries in the east
- From Holmhead, take the A70 to Ayr, from where the A77, B743 and the A79 all run to Prestwick Airport
During morning and evening rush hours, the A76, A70, A77 and the M77, along with the M8 motorway, can become fairly busy and you should allow for extra travel time if you are travelling to Glasgow Prestwick Airport during these times.
Glasgow Prestwick Airport (PIK): Virtual Google Maps